Phone: (212) 301-7607
Mobile/WhatsApp: (646) 670-7605
1325 6th Ave., 28th Fl.
New York, NY, 10019
Sam is a seasoned financial restructuring and corporate attorney who leverages his Big Law background while prioritizing a pragmatic and results-driven approach. He has represented multiple types of stakeholders in various aspects of in-court and out-of-court reorganizations, including individual creditors and creditors’ committees, debtors, bidders in connection with section 363 sales, and defendants of preference actions.
Sam’s experience spans cases of all sizes in multiple jurisdictions, including New York, Delaware, and Texas. He has represented key stakeholders in several notable recent cases, including FTX, Sears, and Energy Futures Holdings. This gives Sam the rare ability to provide clients with mega-case insight through a small firm platform. Prior to starting his own practice, Sam was an attorney in the corporate department of multinational law firm Paul Hastings, practicing in its financial restructuring group.
- Holders of multimillion dollar claims in the chapter 11 cases of a major crypto exchange, including in connection with the negotiation of a claim sale and management of substantial preference exposure.
- The official committees of unsecured creditors in the chapter 11 cases of FTX Trading Ltd., Fieldwood Energy LLC (2020), and LSC Communications, Inc.*
- Ad hoc groups of secured noteholders in the chapter 11 cases of TPC Group Inc., and in the out-of-court and subsequent prepackaged reorganization of Carlson Wagonlit Travel.*
- One of the largest landlord claimants in the Subchapter V case of Parking Management, Inc.*
- Vendor in negotiation and litigation of its significant 503(b)(9) claim and preference defense in Sears Holding Corporation.*
- Debtors in possession in the chapter 11 cases of Aerogroup International, Inc. and Gawker Media LLC.*
- Defendant in negotiation and settlement of substantial preference action in In re The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc.*
- Companies in connection with out-of-court reorganizations, refinancing, and bankruptcy filing preparations.*
- Bidders, buyers, and lenders in connection with section 363 sales.
- J.D., Columbia Law School; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; American Review of International Arbitration, Senior Editor
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania
Memberships and Recognitions
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America (Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law)
- New York Super Lawyers: Rising Star
- New York City Bar Association
- “The Value of Being Rejected: Determining the Appropriate Discount Rate for Rejection Damages,” Houston Business and Tax Law Journal Online Publication (November 2023), available at https://hbtlj.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Ashuraey-The-Value-of-Being-Rejected.pdf
- “Expert Analysis: Subchapter V Eligibility Ruling Raises Uncertainty for Tenants,” Law360 (August 16, 2023), available at https://www.law360.com/articles/1710928/subchapter-v-eligibility-ruling-raises-uncertainty-for-tenants
- “Expert Analysis: Shkreli Cos. Bankruptcy Illustrates Novel Subchapter V Trend,” Law360 (May 25, 2023), available at https://www.law360.com/articles/1681366/shkreli-cos-bankruptcy-illustrates-novel-subchapter-v-trend
- New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
*Representations prior to founding Ashuraey Law PLLC.